National Formation Objectives
In the formation of both novices and professed members, the following objectives are to be used as a guide. The Secular Franciscan will:
- be familiar with the life and spirituality of St. Francis and St. Clare and the Franciscan Family.
- know and understand the rule so that it becomes a guide for the Franciscan way of life.
- understand what it means to be committed to this way of life and the necessity of ongoing conversion.
- become an active member of the Secular Franciscan Order.
- develop a spirit of fraternity by getting to know the other members, have mutual love and respect for each of them and be committed to the care and service of each.
- be introduced to using the Word of God as a basis for prayer.
- foster an interior life which accords itself with the Franciscan call.
- carry out the Franciscan mission in the world by engaging in activities which promote justice, creation and the poor.
- integrate into his/her spiritual life the secular dimensions of the Franciscan calling, particularly in regards to the family and to work.
- become an active member of the Church community.
OFS Formation Newsletter October 2014 (PDF)
OFS Formation Newsletter June 2013 (PDF)