2015 National Elective Chapter - "Rediscovering the simplicity of St. Francis"
The National Elective Chapter was held in Loretteville, QC, May 14 to 17, 2015.
There were 48 participants in this Chapter, representing all of the regional fraternities of Canada, including the presence of several Spiritual Assistants of the First Order. The two International Visitors were Ana Fruk, ofs, International Councillor from Zagreb, Croatia and Brother Francis Bongajum Dor, OFM Cap, International Spiritual Assistant.
Brother Francis animated the spiritual conference on the theme described above.
During the Chapter, two resolutions were presented:
- The first resolution, proposed to remove the election of the Formation Director, replacing it by a appointed position by the National Council. It was decided to table this proposal so that the National Council could make an analysis of the consequences of such a proposal and come back to the Chapter to make a decision.
- The second resolution proposed and adopted was that the Chapter approved the transfer or transition from being Incorporated by Letters Patent, under which the national corporation has been since 1990, to our proceeding to submit the new charter documents (articles of continuance etc) to obtain a Certificate of Continuance, as well as create and file by-laws which comply with the Not-For-Profit (NFP) Act, to keep our federal registration and acquired rights. To this resolution is also added approval to modify or amend our National Statutes to reflect these changes, and if need be, to define our organization under the name "The Secular Franciscans of Canada."
Action is being undertaken with Corporations Canada to acquire this recognition as a Not-For-Profit
At the meetings of the linguistic groups, discussion took place for orientations for the next three years, which
are summarized below:
- The National website have standardized forms on the National Site; models of posters and the logo would help with communications and public relations; site---redesign to make it more attractive; more resources on the website for continuing education;
- Secular Franciscan Spiritual Assistants: the spiritual assistants of the first Order will present the OFS Spiritual Assistants at a meeting, to allow for better acceptance and integration;
- Some fraternities need lessons on how to live in fraternity and to discover our Franciscan color;
- Continue to develop the New Evangelization;
- For training: keep it simple and enjoyable. We must develop training for our Formation Directors; share
resources and communicate more. Use the website for resources; ongoing dialogue.
The International Fraternity (OFS)
Ana Fruk has presented the priorities and orientations of the International Chapter which took place in autumn 2014. You read everything in the minutes of the Chapter that will sent soon to your regions.
The new National Council
You can count on the members of the new National Council to follow up on the work of the previous council and look into the implementation of the orientations and objectives raised by members at the Chapter.
I am very happy, as the new National Minister, relying on a council with great personal values and experiences, to achieve the set objectives.
Peace and Joy
Gilles Métivier ofs, Minister
The National Fraternity of the Secular Franciscan Order in Canada is the organic union of all the local fraternities across the country grouped into regional Fraternities.
The purpose of the National Fraternity is:
- To foster communion and cooperation among the fraternities in Canada.
- To be a link between the Regional Fraternities and the International Fraternity.
- To nurture growth in the Franciscan and ecclesial life of the members.
- To make present in the life and mission of the Church the charism of our Seraphic Father.
- To provide a forum for discussion of common goals and problems.
- To represent Secular Franciscans, at the National level, in their associations with church or civil organizations and to promote mutual relationships with other such organizations where appropriate.
For more information contact the National fraternity of Canada
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT HOAX E-MAIL THAT HAS CIRCULATED IN THE PAST:
Dear members of council and regional ministers, There is a hoax e-mail
circulating, and you may have received something from an e-mail that looks
something like my address, from a John Hyde from Tasmania, asking for
money to come to Canada for his sister's funeral. Gilles also received it
and informed me of its nature. This was not sent by me, and I strongly
recommend that you pass this information on to anyone of your contacts who
may have received a similar request and discourage anyone from taking any